Long about 12 years ago, I purchased a cute little wire-bound book in which to store my Website information, such as user names, passwords, and other pertinent information. I had purchased it at the gift shop of an art museum. And I was thrilled with my little find.
Unfortunately, at around the same time, we acquired a seven-week-old puppy that my daughter, Sarah, named Harley.
Being a puppy, Harley excelled in all the typical puppy shenanigans. One of his tricks was to eat things. Pretty much ANY things. One of the things he decided looked luscious was my little password book. His teeth took a hefty chunk out of the front and back of the book, as well as some of the pages.
Through all these years, I've continued to use the little ragged well-chewed book.
For the past few years though, I had been thinking it would be a good idea to come up with a replacement. I wasn't sure what format my new password keeper would take. And I put it on the back burner. As is typical of me when I am not sure what to do.
Just recently I had one of those profound AHA moments.
Walgreens, as part of their Back to School promotions, offered those mini composition books for a mere six for $1.00. You know the ones: black and white "marbled" with the black fabric-like binding and 80 lined pages. Yesss!
I made an updated Password Book out of one of those little composition books. Mine measures 3 1/4" x 4 1/2". The PERFECT size!
It was easy, but time-consuming, to make. I utilized the black binding, and simply added appropriate-sized Designer Series Paper to the front and back covers, using Glue Stick on the entire surface of the notebook to adhere the DSP. I then used a papercrafting sanding block with downward strokes along the edges to "seal" the paper to the cover.
This is what my little treasure looks like:
My biggest complaint about my original book -- besides its deplorable condition -- was the lack of tabs. My entries were every which place. If you know what I mean. No rhyme. No reason. Complete frustration!
To make my new Password Book alphabetized, I needed lettered tabs. Right?
I know it looks a little funky (but an endearing funky), because of the large size of my letters. But, I absolutely love it! And I spend an inordinate amount of time simply riffling through its pages. It's adorable.
To create my much-needed tabs, I cut the letters from black cardstock using my Big Shot and the Little Letters Thinlits (page 172). The tabs themselves were created from retired Blush Blossom cardstock using the also retired Modern Label punch. I then snipped each of the labels in half, adhered the appropriate letter, and attached them to the pages.
Another smart thing I am doing this time around is writing the entries in PENCIL!
Share with us the method you use for storing all your passwords.