Do you remember me ever mentioning a Stella in my blog posts? OK. I am being facetious. My little granddaughter, Stella, is the star of many of my posts. And a stellar part of my life. (See how perfect her name is?!?)
A week ago, my little honey turned six years old. I turned to ol' faithful, MDS, for the image I used on her birthday card. The darling elephant comes from Patterned Occasions, one of the sets from last year's Sale-A-Bration.
In MDS, I colored him as I wanted him to look, printed him twice, then headed downstairs to my Creation Station, and proceeded from there. From the second print, I cut out the ear and the flower, and attached them with Stampin' Dimensionals to the original print.
Great. Now what? <head scratching>
Using the scalloped circle from the Circles Collection Framelits, I cut out the image. I STILL didn't know exactly where I was headed.
I selected the largest of the Floral Frames Collection Framelits, and it looked like it would be a good fit size-wise as a frame around the scallop circle. I cut it from yellow and adhered it to the back of the elephant piece. Cute.
Hmmm. Now, do I add this to a large square card? B-o-r-i-n-g.
No! I'll make this my whole card. So I cut another yellow piece with the intention of adding a hinge between the yellow "flowers", and calling it finished.
As I laid the pieces together to see how this would look, they slipped a bit.
Serendipity!! A happy accident!
Instead of lining up the flowers together, by alternating the peaks of the flowers, I created more of a sun. Which in my eyes was simply adorable for a six-year-old's birthday card. Especially such a sunny, happy six-year-old like my Stella.
I added a simple little hinge to create an opening card. I then added a second flower, this time the second largest one in Whisper White to the inside of the card.
It looks kind of cute standing open. The peaks of the flowers separate towards the bottom, revealing how it would have looked with only the first yellow flower behind the elephant piece. But at the top of the card, the second layer of flower shows.
I stamped a happy girly sentiment inside the card. Because I had added yellow dots to all the scallops on the elephant piece, I carried that same idea to the inside of the card. The dots were created with a gentle touch of the brush end of a Stampin' Write Marker.
In this photo you can see how the two yellow flowers come together when the card is closed. Cute, eh?
Since this was not a standard-sized card at all, I turned to my beloved Envelope Punch Board to create a custom envelope. I measured the finished card, and looked on the chart of the Punch Board to see what size paper I would work with and where I should do my first punch/score. I added a layered flower with temporary adhesive on the back to "seal" the envelope.
So, this is a perfect example of how I need to plant my OWN creative paper seedlings.
All I knew when I started was that I had a pink patterned elephant to work with and that I would do some popping up of elements.
After some thinking, trial and error, and blessed serendipity, I was happy with my special birthday greeting for my precious little Stella.