As you already know, I hold monthly workshops, which I call Stamp-Ins, in my home. At each of these Stamp-Ins, I have four projects, usually four cards, for my girls to create. I'd say 95% of the time, the projects are completely original. The other 5% comes from ideas I've seen somewhere, but have tweaked to make my very own.
I estimate that, in order to come up with an original card for my workshops, it takes an average of an hour and a half for just one card. During that 90 minutes, I am confronted by lots of trials and errors, more than I'd like. Of these trials and errors, I usually save those that are somewhat salvageable. I stack them in a plastic container.
Recently, I'd noticed that my container seemed to be getting sort of full. Without looking through the contents, I decided that it was time I did something with all these salvageables.
So, still without perusing the stack, I gave myself a personal challenge: Make something using mostly bits and pieces that were in my basket.
This is what my container looked like. It looks like it may be promising, right?
When I dumped out the contents, I wasn't as thrilled as I'd thought I would be. Pushing my way through it all, and feeling quite desperate, I grabbed a few white/orange/pinkish components, and decided that this would be the stash I would work with.
Below is the card I came up with. I can't say I'm in love with it, but it is, eh, OK.
From the salvageable stash, I rescued the sponged and embossed poppies, the three circles in orange, pink and white, as well as the flagged banner in a matching pink.
The pieces I added are the Calypso Coral card base and the Naturals White piece that matched the large white circle. I embossed this piece with the Modern Mosaic embossing folder.
Once I had everything sort of lying in place, I decided it was waaaay too much stark white.. So I sponged the edges of the embossed piece as well as the white circle in Calypso Coral. I also tied an orange bow in place.
While it bothered me to bring in a different color of embossing -- the poppies were embossed in gold -- I opted to emboss a simple sentiment in white, only because I didn't think the words would show up against that pink if I embossed them with a poppy-matching gold. I added a Basic Pearl also.
When I first finished the card, I liked it and thought I'd made good use of something that could potentially have been thrown away.
The longer I live with the card, however, the less I like it.
Now, I'd like to challenge YOU! Grab some leftovers from a project or two or three that would possibly have been thrown out, plant some Paper Seedlings and create a whole new project from them.
If you take me up on my challenge, include a link to your creation in my Comments section. Good luck!
I intend to do a personal challenge like this again sometime in the future. B U T, I am going to let my discard stash grow so I have more to pick from. Eh?