Anyway, I have a papercrafting book that had some intriguing borders included. One, a variation on Dutch Weaving, especially caught my eye. I decided I would give it a try.
I cut a piece of retired Barely Banana -- such a nice soft unintimidating yellow -- to 1 5/8" x 5 1/2" to serve as my base. After carefully measuring, I cut 1 1/4" slits alternating between 1/2" and 1/4" and repeating, all the way down the yellow strip.
Using one piece of Marina Mist trimmed to 1/2" x 5 1/2", and two of Night of Navy at 1/4" x 5 1/2", I then set to weaving these pieces through the slits. I started with the larger center piece, and finished with the two side pieces. I must admit I had some rough going. Those strips just did not want to cooperate.
I finally got them all into place. The woven piece was cool, and I wanted to use it in something. So I set to building a card around it.
Since the woven strip itself was so interesting, I wanted the focal point of the card to be somewhat understated. The bird from the Hostess set, Simply Sketched, seemed perfect for the role.
So, the additional color I brought into place was Very Vanilla, upon which I stamped my bird in Night of Navy. The other starring role Very Vanilla played in this card was as the woodgrain embossed background.
A few additional touches, such as bringing the Barely Banana and the Night of Navy back into the picture in a few spots, finished off a card that is quite pleasing.
And, NOW, I have Dutch Weaving out of my system. Whew!