Do you remember back in early October when I introduced to you the experimentiing I'd been doing with mixing together Stampin' Blends and rubbing alcohol? That post and its result can be seen here. My subject matter was a stunning red foil diecut leaf on a background of pinks and reds.
Rather than re-inventing the wheel and telling you <once again> just how to do this technique, just click on the blue "here" for directions on doing it.
For this card, I used a few Stampin' Blends in blues to create the background on the vellum. As mentioned in the October post, the creator has only a small amount of control when playing with Stampin' Blends, rubbing alcohol and vellum. You think you are working towards a certain effect only to be thwarted part way through. So you end up improvising and being happy with what your results. They are all truly lovely.
When looking at the closeup below, doesn't it sort of remind you of ink refills and shaving cream? I really don't know which of these techniques is less messy. But they are both fun and both give good results, so are each worthwhile in their own right.
The dies I used to make the lovely two-layered snowflake are from the So Many Snowflakes die set found on page 165 of the Annual Catalog. I added a Pastel Pearl to the center. To keep it distinct from the busy background, I popped it up with a single Stampin' Dimensional.
The beautiful blue I used in both the snowflake and the frame is the retired Seaside Spray cardstock. I am so sad that color is gone, as it is exceptional for snowflakes and wintry crafting. The frame is done using the Scalloped Contour dies on page 158 of the Annual Catalog. By cutting the vellum to just the right size to fit inside this frame, there is no worry about adhesive showing through. Yay!
Have you given this technique a try? Did you have any problems? Were you satisfied with your results?
I love your alcohol background. I have yet to experiment with alcohol inks although I have quite the collection. I also have the right percentage of rubbing alcohol. Maybe when I get my studio set up again. Had to pack it up, because we are replacing all of the flooring in the house!ReplyDelete
This process is different though than using Alcohol Inks. This uses Stampin' Blends and rubbing alcohol. Give them both a try! Good luck with your flooring project!Delete
Great outcome of your experiment!ReplyDelete
Thanks so much, Michele!Delete
Aw, thanks, Michelle!ReplyDelete
When I first started making greeting cards, I was into trying everything and I did a lot of alcohol colors. Your card turned out beautiful and it is peaceful!ReplyDelete
Thank you, Karren. What a sweet thing to say. Sometimes these experiments are what keep me going and wanting to keep on keeping on.Delete
That is so creative! It is sad that color is no longer. It looks so nice on the snowflake. I always love when people share their art. It's beautiful!ReplyDelete
oh and coming from #AnythingGoesDelete
Beautiful card, your background is brilliant.ReplyDelete
Thank you so much, Bridie!Delete
Another beautiful card! It does remind me a bit of the shaving cream technique (which I always loved!). Pinned.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Joanne. Yeah, I should really drag out the supplies and do a little shaving cream technique once again. I always loved the unexpected and varied results you get from that!Delete