While scrounging through my kitchen drawer the other day, I came across something I'd completely forgotten that I had. It was a package of treat bags with Easter eggs on them. The eggs were so cute, I decided there and then to use the bags somehow on my Easter cards this year.
The cute treat bags:
After deciding to use them, the next question was: BUT HOW?? Working with a cellophane bag is just like working with anything clear in that adhesive shows through. Think working with vellum. Yuk.
My first thought was to wrap the cellophane around the edges of a base piece of white cardstock. Making multiples of the card though, I couldn't imagine how much of a challenge that would be. And to try to miter those slippery corners. Nope, I decided that wasn't the way I should go.
I cut a piece of white cardstock to 3 1/2" x 4 3/4". I put a thin strip of dry adhesive along the edges, just enough adhesive to make the cello stick in place. Once that was accomplished, I thought I could trim the excess with my guillotine paper cutter, but that wasn't going to do a neat enough job. So I hand trimmed all the edges with a pair of scissors.
The photo below shows one completely trimmed
and another with only one side left to trim away.
I had decided to cover the adhesive with a "frame", and used two dies to accomplish this. The largest of the Scalloped Contours dies was the first step,, cut from white cardstock. I then inserted the proper size of the Stitched Rectangles dies inside the scalloped portion and cut out the inside. That gave me a beautiful white scalloped from.
Since my base cardstock was cut to the dimensions I've mentioned, it was fairly easy to fit the frame cleanly over the egg pieces. You see, the base measurers the same as the squared off portions of the scalloped frame.
The photo below shows how neatly this worked out.
The shiny plastic was tricky to work with.
I just needed to be extra careful.
The star of the card was to be the sad-looking bunny from the Easter Friends stamp set in the Mini Catalog. I chose to stamp him in Melon Mambo because it was a pretty close match to the pink in one of the eggs on the treat bag.
After fussy cutting the bunny, I used a couple Stampin' Dimensionals to mount him atop the egg-y background. I tied a cute yellow bow and added it to the bunny with a Glue Dot.
In the next photo, I tilted the card towards the sun
so you can see the glare on the plastic.
The only thing left to do was to mount all my work onto a yellow card base.
I know Easter is actually a religious occasion. I, however, chose to use something funky and fun to express my greetings.