Easter is coming; the goose is getting fat. Oops. Easter is coming; the DUCK is getting fat.
Browsing on the Internet the other day, I came across some darling little paper Easter baskets that proved to be oh, so simple -- and fun! -- to make. And they look just so spring-y.
All you need to make these cuties is a single sheet of Designer Series Paper that measures 6" square. Well, over the years, I've accumulated lots of packs of DSP that are 6" square. Using only a few sheets out of a pack, I knew I had lots to choose from, including spring-like designs.
I had lots of fun choosing just six of these papers for my half dozen baskets.
Use your Simply Scored to score at 2" and 4", flip the paper and repeat. Use a bone folder to give those score lines a good crease.
On one side, cut up one of the score lines until you meet the next line. Do that on both score lines on one side. Flip it and repeat on the other side. The middle line of fold lines doesn't get cut at all.
Once all of the cuts are made, on one side, fold in the center square and fold the other two end squares towards the center until they meet at a point above the center square. Repeat this on the opposite side.
When I was gluing mine, I put green glue on the top portion of the center square, then after meeting the other two at the point, I lifted up the topmost square and sneaked a little glue under that. You may choose to do it differently. Doesn't matter. Just so it holds together.
To make the handles, I cut coordinating solid cardstock to 3.4" x 6". I learned the hard way while trying to attach my first handle. As I tried to maneuver it into place, it buckled and made a crease in the handle. Nuh uh. Not good.
To alleviate this situation, before you try to install your handle, sort of gently curl it with a bone folder. This breaks up enough of the fibers in the paper so it is soft enough to bend nicely without creasing.
Use glue to adhere the handles inside the basket,.
Once all my baskets were created, the fun part really started. I have years and years worth of buttons and large brads left over from Stampin' Up! purchases. It was pleasant going through all this stash to discover pieces that coordinate with each basket.
I used buttons, some of which I inserted baker's twine into the holes and tied in either a knot or a bow. Other buttons didn't really need anything. I even found a pair of large brads that I could use on one of them.
The last step was to fill them with crimped paper. Only having four colors of this basket filler, a couple of the baskets presented a little bit of a challenge. But I got the job done. And I am pleased.